Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why doesn't it sound as clever when I say it?

A quotation of Cabin Pressure:

Martin: It seems the cargo hold heating may not have been turned on.
Douglas: Masterly use of the passive voice.

Now, when the passive voice comes up in class, first I have to explain what the passive voice is (as grammar isn't taught anymore, apparently), next I explain why it is often not a good idea to use it, and finally (not being an 18th century prescriptivist) I explain that there are sometimes very good reasons to use the passive voice.

By the time I try to explain these good reasons, my class is asleep.

Perhaps I could just play them the radio episode?

"But writing-powers-that-be, playing this show for them is TOTALLY justified. Not only did they learn about the passive voice, they heard references to Moby Dick...and learned how airplanes fly right side up!"

No comments: