Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reason to go to College?

I recently was on the website for the University of Central Missouri. What did I find on said website? A picture of David Cook!

So, what they want all prospective students going onto the website to think is this:

GO TO UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL MISSOURI AND YOU COULD BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right...

David Cook got his degree in Graphic Arts Technology Management (whatever that is) not music, so I'm afraid his Alma Mater cannot take any responsibility.

http://www.ucmo.edu/

And, I'm sure you are all wondering, "How does this post fulfil the stated purpose of this blog, to showcase random and sporadic literature, philosophy, and opera musings?" I'll tell you.

In Logic (which is required for many philosophy degrees, and which furthermore was developed by many famous philosophers including Ockham and Duns Scotus and Bertrand Russel and many many more) we learned about the Appeal to Authority as an inductive argument. One of the questions we had to as was "Is the person really an authority on the subject?" Hence, my exposition of the university's bad appeal to authority is in fact an application of Logic!

And you thought I had lost my mind!

No comments: