Saturday, June 16, 2007

Die Walkure

I learned last year that I liked Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg. I borrowed a DVD of it purely because Sir Thomas Allen was singing Beckmesser, and I love his voice. Well, I didn't just suffer through to hear him sing, instead I discovered a wonderful, dramatic, and even humorous opera. When I had to listen to Tristan und Isolde in Opera class, I decided that Meistersinger was a fluke. But I got the whole Ring trilogy out from the library, and I love it! Firstly, the music is beautiful. I don't think I'll be singing along to it, but it is very emotional and dramatic. Secondly, the story is interesting. No, it isn't LotR, and never for a minute with I believe that Tolkien copied from Wagner. But the story is interesting. I really REALLY need to get to reading more Norse mythology (and find out what Wagner did to it). And finally, it's just amazing to watch men and women singing Wagner!

In Die Walkure, Wotan's farewell to Brunnhilde is so very beautiful and moving!

But I have to read more about these operas. I think I may become a fan of BOTH ring cycles!

No comments: